Hundreds Feared Dead in Indonesia Quake; No Tsunami
Mon Mar 28, 5:33 PM ET Top Stories - Reuters
By Tomi Soetjipto
JAKARTA (Reuters) - Hundreds of people were feared killed in a massive 8.7 magnitude earthquake that hit a small island in western Indonesia on Monday, but panic across Asia that it could lead to another devastating tsunami soon receded.
Reuters Photo

A police official on Nias said many buildings were wrecked in Gunungsitoli, the main town on the island off Sumatra.
"About the victims, we cannot count them now," Sergeant Zulkifly Sirait told Reuters by phone. "We only know there are many buildings flattened (and) a big possibility there will be hundreds of people killed."
The epicenter was very close to that of the Dec. 26 quake, measuring 9.0, which triggered a tsunami that left nearly 300,000 people dead or missing across Asia.
Monday's quake, which struck close to or after midnight across the region, spread terror in western Indonesia, Sri Lanka and coastal parts of India, Malaysia and Thailand, the areas devastated by the Boxing Day tsunami.
Sirens wailed and tens of thousands of panic-stricken people were evacuated after tsunami warnings, while others drove or ran from coastlines to higher ground.
But there were no signs of a tsunami up to six hours after the 11:09 a.m. EST quake and alerts were later withdrawn in most areas.
Agus Mendrofa, the deputy mayor of Gunungsitoli, was quoted by local Metro TV as saying about 10,000 of the town's 30,000 residents had fled for higher ground.
He said the quake destroyed hundreds of homes.
"I can guarantee that dozens have died," Mendrofa said by telephone.
"Gunungsitoli is now like a dead town. The situation here is in extreme panic."
A senior police officer in Gunungsitoli told Reuters that many were trapped in damaged buildings.
"The earthquake was massive, it's still shaking now," said A. Nainggolan, the town's deputy police chief.
Another officer said up to three-fourths of the town was damaged.
Nias, off the western coast of Sumatra and about 870 miles northwest of Jakarta, is a remote and rugged island regarded as a surfing paradise for a fabled right hand break.
TSUNAMI POTENTIAL
The Pacific tsunami warning center said the quake had the potential to cause a "widely destructive tsunami" and authorities should take "immediate action," including evacuating coastlines within 600 miles of the epicenter.
One official said any possible tsunami could be headed toward the Indian Ocean island of Mauritius.
But the center added: "Authorities can assume the danger has passed if no tsunami waves are observed in the region near the epicenter within three hours of the earthquake."
Australia's Bureau of Meteorology said it had recorded two small waves in the Cocos Islands, the first only three inches but the second 10 inches. The Cocos Islands, south of Sumatra, recorded a 13.2-inch wave as a result of the Boxing Day tsunami.
Unlike in the immediate aftermath of the December quake, reactions were quick in nations on the rim of the Indian Ocean and tsunami warnings were issued across the region.
But well before dawn, Thailand and Sri Lanka canceled the alerts and Indian officials followed soon after.
Tens of thousands of people across northern and western Sumatra fled their homes, TV and residents said.
Thailand had earlier evacuated people living along parts of its west coast, including tourists on the resort island of Phuket, while Malaysia issued a warning to coastal residents.
"About 3,000 to 4,000 tourists and locals have been evacuated from Patong and Kamala beaches to higher places," Phuket deputy governor Wichai Buapradit told Reuters.
Authorities in India's Andaman and Nicobar islands, north of the epicenter, issued a preliminary tsunami warning as did the federal government in New Delhi. Sirens wailed in the eastern Sri Lankan town of Trincomalee and many coastal areas were evacuated, residents said.
The quake was felt as far away as Singapore and the Malaysian coastal city of Penang, jolting people out of their beds.
"It felt stronger than on Dec. 26," said Arumugam Gopal, a resident of Penang.
A telephone operator in the Sumatran city of Medan said: "It was very strong. We all ran out of the building."
An NGO official in Banda Aceh, the town worst hit by the Dec. 26 tsunami, sent out a telephone message saying thousands of people fled their homes and headed for higher ground after feeling what he described as "a very damn big earthquake."
U.S. Geological Survey spokesman Don Blakeman said Monday's quake was considered a "great earthquake" because it was larger than a magnitude 8. He said it was an aftershock from December's quake but was a "very serious earthquake in its own right."